Adobe Photoshop (Windows Only)

Adobe Photoshop Discussions Forum (Windows Only). Photoshop is a graphics editing program developed and published by Adobe. It is the current and primary market leader for commercial bitmap and image manipulation, and is the flagship product of Adobe Systems. It's the industry standard for graphics professionals. 

Keywords Adobe, Photoshop, Windows, CS2, username, organization, serial, missing, orinvalid

Photoshop CS2: Your Adobe Photoshop username, organization, or serial number is missing orinvalid.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
   Adobe Photoshop (Windows Only) Forum Index -> Adobe Photoshop (Windows Only)

AuthorMessage
Tim_MacKay (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Photoshop CS2: Your Adobe Photoshop username, organizati

I spent an hour on the phone with Adobe tech support this afternoon and may have finally got an answer.

It may be as simple as the necessity to enter some text in the "Organization" slot along with your user name and serial number. But maybe not.

He was concerned that my spyware removal program was erasing my license - which sounds reasonable - but disabling the spyware application before reinstalling didn't fix anything.

In the end I had to remove the folders in my PC registry that store the licensing info before re-installing. I am going to wait a few days to see if the problem really has been fixed; if it has I will identify the folders I had to remove - it doesn't seem like a good idea to have you messing with the registry if this isn't the right fix after all.
Don_Gray (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Photoshop CS2: Your Adobe Photoshop username, organizati

Yeah, Tim, I'd like to know if you found the fix.
I thought maybe since I hadn't registered on this machine,
maybe that was it. But, I have just discovered that the problem has now come up again. I'm not totally sure but think I should have entered information in the organization field before registering.
Doug_Austin (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Photoshop CS2: Your Adobe Photoshop username, organizati

I have the same problem--and have been advised by tech support to uninstall/re-install FOUR SEPARATE TIMES NOW! All to no avail. They are out of suggestions. Except for the NUCLEAR OPTION: format the hard drive and start from scratch. Here are particulars: I have a 2.1GHz Athlon processor, ASUS board, 1 gig RAM. The machine works great on everything else, including CS1. But CS2, when funcional (between these "missing user name" messages)runs very slowly. Simple cloning/healing brush steps lag behind, painting on layer masks also lags, virtually every operation is slow. Not so in CS1. I really can't use it like this even if it didn't keep failing to load. Adobe Tech support has no other options. I have a support doc (326496) that suggests a few alternatives, particularly reinstalling CS2 in a DIFFERENT folder, which I'll try next time. So far, a big thumbs DOWN for CS2. Too buggy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Photoshop CS2: Your Adobe Photoshop username, organizati

This is the solution that has so far worked for me:

Un-install PhotoshopCS2 without saving your preferences; there is a chance that your preference files have been corrupted. You may have to follow the steps in Adobe Technical Document 330507 (search for that number at the web site) to make sure you have completely removed the application. That document refers to the manual removal of Photoshop 8, but I was told you can apply it to CS2 (which is version 9). In my case there was still a PhotoshopCS2 entry when I opened the "Add/Remove" programs window even after I had uninstalled it. It was the following step that cleared it out and also stopped the error. (I did not do the steps in that tech document, by the way, only the following.)

Edit your PC registry with regedit and locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE. Click the "+" box next to "SOFTWARE" to list all its folders then delete the folder named "Macrovision" that you find there. It contains a subfolder "SafeCast" which contains a *.dat file which is supposed to record the PhotoshopCS2 license info. Make sure you delete the folder named "Macrovision" and NOT "Macromedia" (if you have that one, too). Close the regedit window.

Open Windows Explorer (or your whatever application you use to view and manage the folders on your hard drive). Look in "C:Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/Macrovision" and delete that "Macrovision" folder (along with all its contents and subfolders) as well. This was the location where my tech support person expected to find the licensing files but mine were only in the registry - I had no Macrovision folder in the "Application Data" folder.

Reboot Windows to reset the registry, then install Photoshop CS2 again. This time be sure to enter some text for "Organization" as well as your user name and serial number. Decline the Adobe web site registration (I had already registered and you probably have, too).

My CS2 has been loading fine ever since. However, this time around I cannot find any references to "Macrovision" or "SafeCast" anywhere in my registry or on my hard drive so I am concerned that things my not really be fixed after all. CS2 may simply think I am in the 30 day trial-use period (even though I entered my serial number and it accepted it) and will boot me out again in a month. I will let you know.

I hope this works for you.

One more note. My tech support person mentioned that installing CS2 on any drive besides C: can cause problems (although there is no problem in having your image files and scratch files on other drives). He also recommended disabling your anti-virus application before installation (you can turn it on again after installation is complete). I did not have to do that, though.
Michael_D_Sullivan (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Photoshop CS2: Your Adobe Photoshop username, organizati

I have both CS and CS2 installed on my D drive without any noticeable problems.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Photoshop CS2: Your Adobe Photoshop username, organizati

Update - I am getting the error about invalid SN again - my fix didn't work after all. Back to tech support by telephone tomorrow morning.
Andre_Lagounaris (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Photoshop CS2: Your Adobe Photoshop username, organizati

Same message here. I re-installed CS(Cool and it so far it is working fine.
My question is: I installed the whole suite, so are the other apps going to do the same or is it only Photoshop?
Hope somebody find the CURE.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Photoshop CS2: Your Adobe Photoshop username, organizati

Next round. Today the tech support person said the problem was probably caused by licensing data bleeding through from a previous version of Photoshop. He had me do a Manual Removal of both CS (version Cool - Tech Document #330507 - and CS2 (version 9)- Tech Document #331405. In the process I discovered that in fact there was residue left over from version 7 as well as CS and CS2 still lurking on my hard drive and in my registry. After cleaning all that out I then re-installed CS2; this time he had me call customer support to "manually" unlock the application instead of using an already installed older version or the disk from an older version. I am up and running yet again - I hope for good. (Also, I disabled my Anti-virus and my Spyware before reinstalling CS2, just to be safe.)

A note on the where to install Photoshop: My previous post was not completely accurate. What the tech person told me was that installing the application on a removeable hard drive that gets disconnected and reconnected can cause problems - he didn't say it had to be installed on drive C:.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Photoshop CS2: Your Adobe Photoshop username, organizati

I don't know what that smiley face is doing there - it's supposed to read version eight, not version smiley face. Is someone out there laughing at me? Smile
ID._Awe (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Photoshop CS2: Your Adobe Photoshop username, organizati

Wink
dave_milbut (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Photoshop CS2: Your Adobe Photoshop username, organizati

we're not lauging at you, we're laugh... hmm... well yea, i guess we're laughing at you. ;)

<kidding!>
undressedmonster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Photoshop CS2: Your Adobe Photoshop username, organizati

seems its been almost a month since anyone has tried anything to fi
this.

Any news from those who have called adobe

--
undressedmonste
deathdaemon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Photoshop CS2: Your Adobe Photoshop username, organizati

Well after a weekend and two days of wondering what the heck was goin
on, heres the fix:

First off the problem can be caused by an error in the registry by
bad sector, if thats the case you want to defrag or reformat. Now i
you have a registry cleaning program like System Mechanic, or VCO
SystemSuite, ETC you are deleting a key that the the cleaning program
think photoshop does not need. You need to not, or protect thi
registry key from being corrupted or deleted from these programs
*[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Uninstall>{236BB7C4-4419-42FD-0409-1E257A25E34D}]
Now you can go ahead and turn the Adobe LM Service off or back t
manual. This fixed my problem with Adobe Photoshop CS2 and my VCO
SystemSuite Professional 6 deleting that key.

Edit: Also I did NOT notify Adobe on this, so whoever would b
ablidged, please note my e-mail to them Very Happy Thanks

--
deathdaemo
   Adobe Photoshop (Windows Only) Forum Index -> Adobe Photoshop (Windows Only)All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3